2017 GNSI Conference
Grow your knowledge with speakers, panels, and field trips. Hone your illustration skills with techniques demonstrations and hands-on workshops. Expand your contacts and collaborations with some of the most accomplished scientific visual communicators in the world.
Welcome to beautiful Asheville, North Carolina!
Our host campus is the progressive Warren Wilson College, nestled in the beautiful and temperate Appalachian mountains. Warren Wilson is a small college full of natural beauty and focused on sustainable practices and environmental concerns, surrounded by forests with a remarkable diversity of plant and animal life. Campus trails, rhododendron groves, and an active 275 acre farm, populated by horses, cows, sheep, pigs, and chickens await your discovery. If that’s not enough, nearby Asheville provides art, theaters, museums, restaurants, and craft beer.
The GNSI Annual Conference combines “core” programming with additional days of workshops and experiential field trips for a full week of learning, sharing, and fun.
Each conference is unique, but the “core” program generally includes:
- Portfolio sharing and reception - meet colleagues, share your work and stories.
- Plenary presentations – top-notch speakers relate what’s new in our field.
- Program sessions - topics relate to business issues, art techniques, and scientific themes.
- Members art exhibit with reception - see the best of peers’ work in this juried show.
- Business meeting - hear Board reports and participate in Guild business.
- Banquet – taste the local cuisine and socialize.
- Auction - bid on artwork, media, materials (and more) to help the Guild’s education fund.
Additional programming includes:
- Workshops - learn about electronic and traditional (and sometimes off-beat) media.
- Field trips – explore local natural areas and visit science and art-centered attractions.